Our Ref: APS JAK 5/101581
Australian Speedway Accident Fund
ABN 47 911 791 570
“The Fund for Members”
Benefit Schedule 2022 – 2023
Conditions of this Schedule
- The Australian Speedway Accident Fund, previously known as the Victorian Speedway Council Accident Fund, was established as a mutual aid scheme in 1978 to assist members who are injured whilst competing in a speedway event, or in the pit area. As a mutual aid scheme its operations are governed by its Trustees who must comply with the terms of the Funds Trust Deed.
- The following Schedule of Benefits is published as a guide that the Trustees will consider when determining to pay a benefit. As a mutual aid scheme, the Trustees of the Australian Speedway Accident Fund (“Fund”) are required by law to have and maintain an absolute and unfettered discretion to determine whether to pay Accident Benefits to eligible members of the Fund. Nothing in this schedule limits that discretion.
- Only eligible members may claim benefits from the Fund. To be eligible to be a Member a person must be a member of a club affiliated with the Victorian Speedway Council, or another body approved by the Fund.
- All decisions of Trustees in relation to the payment of benefits are final.
- The Fund is not an insurance product.
In the case of accidental injury or death, when exercising their discretion as to what if any benefit is to be paid the Trustees will have regard to the following guidelines. Medical proof, including a medical or dental report, must be included with any application for a benefit.
Drivers other than junior drivers, pit crew and officials:
|Weekly Benefit (7-day excess applies)
||Up to $1000.00 per week to a maximum of 104 weeks
|Loss of Life (lump sum)
||Up to $85,000.00
||Up to $7,500.00
||Up to $2,500.00
|Student allowance paid to Parent/Guardian
||Up to $500.00 per week to a maximum of 104 weeks (7 day excess applies)
|Loss of Life (lump sum)
||Up to $25,000.00
||Up to $7,500.00
||Up to $1,250.00
In the case of very serious injury the Trustees may consider paying a lump sum benefit in lieu of weekly benefits up to the benefit payable for loss of life. Any such payment is entirely at the discretion of the Trustees, who will have regard to the extent of the injury or the disability.
If a member who has been in receipt of weekly benefits subsequently becomes entitled to a lump sum benefit, that lump sum may be reduced by the sum of the weekly or other benefits received.
Note: The Fund is not a health fund and will not reimburse medical expenses that are covered by Medicare or private health insurance, nor will it reimburse any gap.
The Trustees may refuse to accept any claim where any of the following requirements are not satisfied:
- Notice of Claim
All notices of claim shall be given to the Club Secretary, or Steward or Pit Marshall by the conclusion of the race meeting at which the injury occurred. The Club Secretary must notify the Fund of a claim within 48 hours of the Accident.
The Club Secretary shall forward to the claimant the necessary claim form, which must be filled in and returned to the Fund Secretary with relevant medical or dental reports.
- Legal Action
It is a condition of the Trustees accepting an application for membership that the Member or the Members legal personal representatives agree to abide by the decision of the Trustees of the Fund and to accept such a decision as final and will not take any action against the Trustees or the Fund.
- Membership of the Fund will start when the prescribed fee has been paid and cease on the following 30th of June.
- Membership shall be open only to persons recognised by such State or National governing bodies approved by the Fund, and who are members of clubs affiliated with the VSC or such other bodies as approved by the Fund and who purchase their licence or pit crew pass from the above-recognised bodies.
- The Fund reserves the right to decline an application for membership and in considering an application for membership to ask an applicant for a medical report or any other relevant information.
The applicable speedway must be registered with required State or National Governing body recognised by the Fund and which has adequate Public Liability Insurance.
- Vehicle or Car
Any vehicle connected with a claim must be constructed to and meet all minimum safety standards as approved by the State Technical Committee and be registered by a recognised State or National governing body and racing under an approved rules and/or specification book.
The Fund will only accept a claim relating to Juniors competing if competing in a class approved by the relevant State or National bodies, and recognised by the Fund as suitable for Junior racing.
Only Officials between the ages of 14 and 70 inclusive on whose behalf the appropriate membership fee has been paid and who are officiating or assisting in the organisation of a speedway event conducted under the auspices of a State or National governing body recognised by the Fund are eligible to become a member. The Fund may accept as a member officials older than 70 years if they apply for dispensation from this requirement and on request provide a medical report acceptable to the Trustees.
- Fees and conditions – Pit crew
- Fee is $40.00 per annum. (Reduced Fee for 22/23 season.)
- Accident Benefits may be paid for Injuries sustained while working in the pits or infield on a race car at a Speedway Meeting.
- Injury sustained in competition or driving on the Speedway Track is not covered under this item (exception being an authorised Mechanics Race).
- Fees and conditions – Drivers/Officials
- Fee is $50.00 per annum. (Reduced fee for 22/23 season )
- Accident Benefits may be paid for injuries sustained:
- While taking part in or preparing a speedway vehicle for participating in a Speedway event at a Speedway Meeting.
- While taking part in Supervised ,Club Authorised, Practice.
- Drivers must hold a license issued by a state or national governing body approved by the Fund permitting that person to drive in events sanctioned by that body, and to drive vehicles of the class and events of the type that the injury occurred in.
- Officials are those who are officiating or assisting in the organisation of a speedway event conducted under the auspices of a State or National governing body recognised by the Fund.
- Fees – Juniors – Drivers and Pit Crew
- Driver Fee is $25.00 per annum; Junior Crew fee is $20.00 per annum. (Reduced fees for 22/23 season.)
- Accident Benefits may be paid for injuries sustained while taking part in or preparing a speedway vehicle for participation in a speedway event at a speedway meeting or while taking part in supervised and authorised club practice.
- Juniors ages will be as per the licence and Pit Crew regulations for their State.
- Fees – Officials (Personal)
- Fee is $50.00 per annum. (Reduced fees for 22/23 season.)
- Officials are those officiating or assisting in the organisation of a speedway event conducted under the auspices of a State or National governing body recognised by the Fund.
- Officials (Track Scheme)
- The membership fee is $50.00 per meeting, for 50 officials, and $5.00 per official thereafter per meeting.
- Cleared payment must be received 14 days prior to each meeting. The same fee is payable for authorised practice meetings. The club or promoting body must furnish all race dates and practice dates 14 days prior to the race meeting or practice session.
- Officials names as listed by the club must be forwarded to the Fund within 14 days of each race meeting or practice session. The club or promoting body must notify the Fund of any cancellation or transfer of race date within 5 days. Dates will be transferable on the applicable form.
- Day Pit Cover
- The membership fee is $10 per person per day.
- Persons who are a member of a club affiliated with the Victorian Speedway Council, or another body approved by the Fund may take out day membership. Accident benefits may be paid to such day members who are injured as a result of an accident or incident that occurred in the pits.
- Other Accident Cover
The Trustees in their absolute discretion may make any payment of Accident Benefits in addition to those provided by any other accident policy that may apply to a Fund Member from time to time.
- Workers Compensation and the Fund
Any Official, Driver or Pit Crew who is entitled to any workers compensation in respect of an accident is not entitled to any benefit from the Fund in relation to that accident.
Australian Speedway Accident Fund – Trustees: July 2022
||0488 721 319
||03 5572 1319
||0458 624 182
||03 5335 7706
||0427 180 444
||03 5248 3831
||0416 238 575
Postal Address: PO Box 353, Hamilton Victoria 3300
Update printed July 28th 2022
22/23 – 002